Our client is a leading third party logistics company providing comprehensive supply chain management solutions that span the globe. Their supply chain management solutions are flexible, scalable, and offer visibility throughout the supply chain. They employ more than 1,200 associates and operate more than 1 million square feet of warehousing while providing a range of services. The company offers warehousing, transload services, dedicated contract carriage, dray management, and store delivery servicing the retail, food and beverage, and industrial industries.
This individual will oversee a new terminal location in the Baltimore market. They will assist with the site selection, recruiting efforts, and launch of the new facility with the company's support. In addition, oversee all terminal functions that include property, yard, operations, terminal fuel purchases, OS&D, rate quotations (in conjunction with corporate approval), driver expense reports, short haul operation interface with the line haul operations, vehicle and equipment maintenance functions and the absolute assurance of stated levels of service to core customers, responsible for account development, visitation and problem solving as necessary to achieve and exceed articulated expectations of customers. Full responsibility for maintaining strong professional relationships with customers and representatives of the community and government agencies.
Job Type: Full-time
- Involved in real estate/space selection for this terminal.
- Involved in recruiting efforts for this operation.
- Accomplish all special assignments and projects throughout the entire regional structure in an efficient and effective manner.
- Ensure complete training of all appropriate human resources. To be used in the problem solving process and newly formulated on-going practices, policies and procedures.
- Create an “End of Project” report to the VP of Operations and monitor the progress. Included in the report are an action plan with appropriate resource tasking and a milestone chart showing start dates tasking.
- Ensure quality and excellence in each and every activity in which the company is involved.
- Travels as required to fulfill the requirements of the responsibility.
- Select and fully train appropriate personnel to supervise and manage the activities of the terminals. In the absence of the incumbent, there can be no deviation from stated quality standards.
- Direct, manage, control, and coordinate all local, regional Owner Operator, and appropriate over-the-road trucking operations to ensure the availability of vehicles, equipment, and drivers when and where needed to totally satisfy customer requirements.
- Ensure that all local, regional and over-the-road movements are properly accomplished in coordination with corporate operations.
- Ensure accomplishment of quality maintenance services on all locally based vehicles and equipment. Facilitate maintenance and repairs on vehicles requiring such services when transiting to the terminal.
- Anticipate possible problems and take proactive action to prelude such events. Maintain a “Fall Back” Plan to compensate for contingencies and unexpected difficulties.
- Develop and maintain a current “Communications Pyramid” of telephone numbers for representatives of the Company and dedicated customers to be utilized in emergency situations.
- Enforce and maintain policies, procedures and practices with respect to efficient, fast and safe operation of fleet assets.
- Ensure that safety is foremost in the minds of all personnel.
- Vigorously enforces company policies, procedures and practices. Coordinates action on questionable activities or practices with appropriate Senior Executives on the Corporate Staff.
- Wherever appropriate and with the input and approval of Proper Corporate Executives, implements local policies and procedures to facilitate safe and efficient operations.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws, regulations and directives governing inspection, licensing, ensuring and operation of motor vehicle equipment.
- Oversee all terminal functions that include property, operations, OS&D, rate quotations (in conjunction with Corporate approval), driver expense reports, short haul operations, interface with dedicated operations, vehicle and equipment maintenance functions and the absolute assurance of stated levels of service to core customers.
- Assist in the selection of new personnel as appropriate.
- Makes provisions for the proper orientation and training of new personnel. Train supervisory personnel as necessary.
- Review employee performance throughout the probationary period and on a regularly scheduled basis thereafter. Utilizes goal accomplishment as one of the primary measurements.
- Plan, organize, schedule and distribute work among assigned personnel in a fair and equitable manner and in keeping with appropriate skill levels.
- Keep personnel informed on pertinent policies and procedures affecting the unit and/or their jobs. Create an atmosphere in which upward communication from employees is encouraged.
- Administer personnel policies and procedures as established by authorized corporate executives.
- Quickly and properly processes all OS&D claims throughout the Corporate Executives.
- Coordinate requests for rate quotations with appropriate Corporate Executives. Provides customers with a written rate to eliminate any confusion regarding the quoted rate (s).
- Process driver expense reports in an expeditious manner. Critically evaluate each expense report to ensure accuracy and reasonableness of expenditures.
- Supervise the local maintenance efforts to assure availability of vehicles and equipment. Coordinate corrective measures with the VP of Operations and Fleet Maintenance Director.
- Ensure impeccable service to core and dedicated customers.
- Responsible for account development, visitation and problem solving as necessary to achieve articulated expectations of customers.
- Maintain a regular visitation schedule to core customers.
- Develops new accounts as necessary to expand the sales base of the company.
- Works with customers as required to solve problems and more importantly to keep problems from coming up.
- Abide by the current laws and organizational policies and procedures designed and implemented to promote an environment that is free of sexual harassment and other forms of illegal discriminatory behavior in the workplace.
- Cooperate with participants and support the adherence to all internal policies, procedures and practices in support of risk management and overall safety and soundness of company’s compliance with all regulatory requirements. Ensure that the unit and all personnel therein adhere to the same.
- Communicate with the VP of Operations, other Executives and Managers and Staff Personnel in order to properly coordinate all activities.
- Responsible for the timely accomplishments of various projects as assigned by the VP of Operations and other Executive Personnel.
- Perform tasks, which are supportive in nature to the essential functions of the job but which may be altered or re-designed depending upon individual circumstances.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Logistics, Transportation, Business or Project Management or equivalent management level experience in these disciplines.
- Additional studies in effective problem solving, warehousing and support activities, technological applications to logistics and building effective reciprocal relationships are most helpful.
- Must be proficient in reading and writing, grammar and mathematical skills.
- Must possess and demonstrate excellent organizational and people skills and be able to coordinate and oversee numerous on-going functions and/or activities simultaneously while maintaining complete control of the situation.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills in evaluating/comparing alternative solutions and/or approaches.
- Must be able to quickly assess a situation and identify feasible solutions to the problem.
- A basic understanding of MIS applications and all major functional areas of the company is an absolute necessity.
- A basic understanding of Class 8 Motor Vehicle Equipment.
- Previous experience managing an active terminal operation including all supporting maintenance functions.
- Training skills required. Upon solving the initial problem(s) at other facilities, incumbent must train the full-time staff to effectively conduct on going activities.
- Minimum 2 years of experience at the supervisory level in a progressive company or companies that emphasize effective management, problem solving, training and significant accomplishment at the field and corporate levels is required.
This position offers a competitive base salary.