Headquartered in Elk Grove Village, IL, our client is a growing asset-based transportation company that provides comprehensive transportation solutions to customers throughout the United States. Their services include full truckload, hazmat, and drop trailer with a dedicated private fleet. They invest substantial resources into their fleet operations, including state of the art tractors, GPS-equipped trailer tracking capabilities, their own fleet maintenance facility, and a secured lot for storage.
Sr. Accountant- Transportation
Our client is a growing fleet maintenance business seeking a hands-on Senior Accountant with an in-depth understanding of accounting principles and company practices. The Senior Accountant will assume a leadership role to guide accounting personnel in daily tasks. This position will be required to perform complex accounting activities and financial analysis. The Senior Accountant's responsibilities include performing account reconciliations, maintaining the general ledger, assist in preparing tax returns and audit preparations. The Senior Accountant will be instrumental in setting up a stand-alone accounting department for this company. To be successful as a Senior Accountant, you should have a solid working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and strong financial analysis skills. An outstanding Senior Accountant should also possess expert Excel skills, be meticulous, highly organized, and able to work with little to no supervision and perform under pressure. This position must ensure first-class financial management and accounting across company entities. The candidate must display integrity and have a desire for professional growth.
- Evaluate workflow processes and procedures to develop, recommend and implement procedural and system changes to increase accuracy and efficiencies.
- Contributing to the development of new or amended accounting systems, programs, and procedures.
- Coordinating accounting functions and programs.
- Preparing financial analyses and reports.
- Performing various analyses and preparing account reconciliations.
- Preparing revenue projections and forecasting expenditure.
- Assisting with preparing and monitoring budgets.
- Maintaining and reconciling balance sheet and general ledger accounts.
- Assisting with annual audit preparations.
- Investigating and resolving audit findings, account discrepancies, and issues of non-compliance.
- Assist in preparing federal, state, local, and special tax returns.
- Performing other accounting duties and supporting junior staff as required or assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance required.
- 7+ years of accounting experience.
- General ledger accounting.
- Strength in regulatory reporting.
- Working knowledge of tax laws and GAAP.
- Strong financial analysis skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational and stress management skills.
- Expert in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.
- Experience with Paylocity Payroll & Time and Labor.
- Ability to train and manage staff.
- Ability to work with little to no supervision.
- Confidential, understands the ethical standards of a Senior Accountant.
- Ability to meet a constant stream of deadline.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with different levels of employees.
- Superior analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Conscientious about timeliness of assignments and quality of work product.
- Possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to articulate recommendations to Controller in concise manner.
- Able to handle multiple priorities and maintain control and order over same.
- Exceptional work ethic.
- Able to analyze, organize, summarize, and articulate legal and financial information.
- Good command of the English language and be able to produce work that is error-free.
- Able to read and interpret and act on financial documents, accounting reports, banking.
- Detailed, organized and ability to communicate effectively to all levels of corporate staff.
- Understanding, yet persuasive and decisive when dealing with others in the organization.
- Responsive collaborator with ability to quickly prioritize among pressing tasks.
- Task and goal oriented and capable of functioning in an entrepreneurial and corporate setting.
- Able to prepare ad-hoc analysis and reports upon request by senior management.
- Able to prioritize urgent requests from Controller or Senior Management.
This position offers a competitive base salary.
Related to: Freight, Freight Delivery, Transportation Logistics, Logistics, Transportation, Trucking, Truckload, Supply Chain, Shipping, Asset, Asset Brokerage, Fleet, Terminal, OTR, Fleet, Dedicated, Owner-Operator, Dryvan, Dry Van, Box Trailer, Dry Goods Shipping, Non-Perishable Shipping, Container, Long Haul, Short Haul, Tractor Trailer, TL, Truckload, FTL, Full Truckload, Truck Load, Semi, Tractor-Trailer, Accounting, bookkeeping, auditing, payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, balance, AR, AP, asset, inventory, expense, gross margin, revenue, CPA, Certified Public Accountant, overhead, trends, costs, sales reports, administrative services, receipts, W-9, 1099, ledger, payments, finance, schedules, commission, documentation, invoice, statements, billing, Excel, taxes, transactions, payment terms, accrued expenses, metrics, cost management, OPEX, COGS, CAPEX, actual costs, risks, savings potential, AOP, forecast, Manager, Management, Supervisor, Team Lead, Team Management, Middle Management