Driver Development Specialist
City & State:
Mid Level Independent Contributor
Safety/Compliance, Driver Management (Recruiting/Training/Retention), Asset
Our client has a fleet of over 8,000 dry van trucks running nationally across the 48 states. They started a brokerage in 2008 to move overflow freight off their board and broker out freight from asset-based customers. Their brokerage model is currently based on 100% overflow freight with an opportunity to still break into the market and bring on new organic business.
Driver Development Specialist:
This individual will be responsible for delivering driver training and development in compliance with Company, Federal, and State regulations. In addition, assessing and coaching drivers of articulated vehicles, both in the truck and in a simulator environment, maintaining accurate records of all training, and fostering an encouraging learning environment.
- Conduct driver facing development in classroom, one-on-one, and hands-on settings.
- Present information using a variety of instructional techniques or formats, i.e., roleplaying, simulations, team exercise, group discussions, and videos.
- Facilitate and implement simulator training and development programs and maintain knowledge of simulator technology to develop and implement curriculum.
- Maintain accurate records of attendance, class completions, evaluations, and coaching sessions in the appropriate systems.
- Perform safety-related functions including, but not limited to, accident reviews and skills and behavior assessments.
- Offer specific training and development programs to help workers maintain or improve job skills, i.e., close quarter training, simulator training, e-learning, or other proprietary or non-proprietary training and development.
- Coach/Counsel drivers in collaboration with Operations and Safety for violations of DOT Regulations, FMCSR, safety standards, and company policies.
- Conduct on-road tests and other evaluations with drivers to determine if drivers meet company skills standards and are in compliance with safety, DOT, FMCSR, and company regulations and policies.
- Maintain company required certifications and professional licensure.
- Model safe behaviors and professional interactions.
- Obtain and organize procedure manuals, guides, or course materials such as handouts or visual materials.
- Maintain all classroom technology and equipment including, but not limited to, computers, Driver Tech units, simulators, projectors, screens, etc.; responsible for reporting and tracking problems to resolution.
- Complete company Professional Driving Program once a year.
- Minimum of 2 years in training/development delivery required.
- Experience in the transportation industry a plus.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor degree in related field or equivalent experience required. Equivalent years of experience are defined as one year of professional experience for each year of college requested.
- Ability to implement new driver facing training and development programs as required.
- Ability to learn and use technology as needed; Examples include, but are not limited to, ELDs, simulators, learning management tools, standard office software (Microsoft Office, Outlook, Skype, etc.), telephones, and classroom equipment.
- Maintains an appropriate professional presence.
- Class-A CDL (Interstate) and active Medical Certification required, or the ability to acquire within 90 days of hire.
- Knowledge of federal and state traffic laws preferred.
- Skilled in operating an articulated vehicle and trailer up to 53’ preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 25%; some overnight travel may be required.
- Drive for Results - establishes and achieves clear, specific performance goals for personal and team achievement.
- Collaborative Teamwork - works well with others in the team in a manner that maximizes team results.
- Effective Communication - Ability to communicate in a courteous and professional manner; correctly conveys information, both verbally and in written form, with the needs and expectations of the audience in mind.
- Customer Centric - exhibits understanding of the importance of customer relationships by expressing concern, following up, and resolving issues promptly.
- Organization and Planning - determines specific work tasks and available resources to ensure timely completion of important work assignments.
- Personal Development - models personal development and maintains own professional knowledge.
- Ethics/Ethical Practice - meets ethical guidelines and professional standards; leads by example and maintains credibility.
- Training/Development Delivery - prepares for training execution, manages the learning environment, delivers various learning methodologies, ensures learning outcomes; strong presentation, classroom instruction and facilitation skills.
- Coaching - ability to train, coach and evaluate knowledge and skills; displays coaching presence and creates awareness.
This position offers a competitive base salary.
Related to: Freight, Freight Brokerage, Freight Delivery, Transportation Logistics, Logistics, Transportation, Transportation Brokerage, Trucking, Trucking Brokerage, Truckload Brokerage, Supply Chain, 3PL, Third Party Logistics, Shipping, Asset, Asset Brokerage, Fleet, Terminal, OTR, trainer, training and development, development, logistics training, mentor, mentoring, mentoring team, team development, employee development, training class, TL, Truckload, FTL, Full Truckload