Our client is a 34 year old asset based company. They serve the states of Washington and Oregon, generally taking loads to and from the port of Tacoma or the Port of Seattle. Their staff consists of seasoned professionals working together in a family environment.
Job Type: Full-time
Customer Service Drayage Team Lead
This role is responsible for leading the Customer Service team in addition to performing a wide range of duties related to processing and coordinating a high volume of customer work orders for container freight transportation and shipment including; load planning, scheduling and coordination of bookings, monitoring and tracking freight shipments, processing change orders and recording and maintaining accurate records in the dispatch system. This position will serve as the main point of contact for customers and will be responsible for responding to customer inquiries, researching and resolving issues, and coordinating changes when necessary. This position will also responsible for maintaining complete and accurate customer records of work orders, load planning/ scheduling activities and change requests, including entering the required information in the dispatch system and load tracking applications. Additionally, this position will work in tandem with the dispatch team, providing assistance and support with the day-to-day operations related to planning and the successful fulfillment of customer orders.
- Review and process customer work orders received by telephone fax or email, ensuring the required shipping details and instructions are present, including, customer requirements, delivery timelines, booking numbers and terminal information.
- Oversee the customer service process.
- Troubleshoot and resolve missing or incomplete information with customers, warehouses and/or terminals to finalize customer order records.
- Plan, process and schedule the logistics of customer loads coordinating delivery and pick-up with warehouses, terminals and drivers in accordance with customer requirements and order specifications.
- Manage the monthly load planning and scheduling for selected accounts processing the logistics information within the assigned customer’s system and creating work orders for final entry in the dispatch system.
- Manage the team’s performance.
- Train, manage, and lead Customer Service employees.
- Drive service expectations with team members.
- Prepare customer work order files for dispatch and enter the order in the dispatch system following verification and confirmation of the information.
- Regularly review and audit the paper and electronic customer files to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information required to invoice customers.
- Track shipments by telephone, email and terminal websites, monitoring expected delivery dates and actual arrivals regularly and interacting with the parties (customers, warehouses, drivers and terminals) involved with the shipment resolving issues and providing status updates when appropriate.
- Prepare and document change requests updating load pick-up/delivery dates and times. Coordinate and communicate changes and revised schedules with customer, warehouses and drivers.
- Review completed work order documents and rates for completeness and accuracy, researching and resolving discrepancies and missing information prior to submission to invoicing.
- Regularly communicate with customers, providing status updates on delivery dates/ times, late deliveries, terminal delays and other load issues that impact the expected arrival schedule.
- Serve as the customer’s first line of contact for general inquiries, order placement, issue resolution and status updates promptly and accurately responding to emails and phone calls.
- Handle escalation situations with internal and external customers.
- Assist in resolving internal questions and issues related to work orders and billing providing support in researching and identifying the appropriate course of action.
- Serve as an internal extension of the sales team to increase current customer business and solicit prospective customer business as opportunities arise.
- Ensure timely record keeping of work orders, customer files and other required information maintaining paper and electronic documentation for customer account orders and transactions in accordance with company operating procedures.
- Regularly monitor the effectiveness of current business practices and processes ensuring desired outcomes are continuously met. Actively participate in process improvement activities assisting in the implementation of systems and procedural changes.
- Promote a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner which facilitates the success of business operations and promotes collaboration and team work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree preferred, high school diploma or GED required.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a customer service role with heavy phone volume and data entry. Prior experience within the trucking and transportation industry desired but not required.
- Must possess and have the ability to interact with customers with a high degree of professionalism.
- General knowledge of transportation logistics planning and coordination.
- Ability to use exemplary telephone skills and customer service skills consistently treating Customers in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Ability to identify with and understand customer’s needs and circumstances.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, able to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Superior listening and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to effectively deal with frequent delays or unexpected events.
- Highly organized and able to multi-task handling multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Self-directed, with considerable initiative, able to maintain a high degree of accuracy with a high degree of attention to detail.
- Experience working with transportation systems and applications.
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office products – Word, Excel, Outlook.
This position offers a competitive base salary.
Related to: Freight, Freight Delivery, Transportation Logistics, Logistics, Transportation, Trucking, Truckload, Supply Chain, Shipping, Asset, Asset Brokerage, Fleet, Terminal, OTR, Fleet, Dedicated, Owner-Operator, Dryvan, Dry Van, Box Trailer, Dry Goods Shipping, Non-Perishable Shipping, Container, Long Haul, Short Haul, Tractor Trailer, Intermodal, Drayage, Container Shipment, Container, Port Drayage, International Shipment, Port, Cargo, Rail, Domestic, Customer service, client relationships, customer relationships, client growth, maintain clients, account maintenance, build relationships, grow clientele, grow business, RFP, RFQ, generate sales, Independent Contributor, Team Player, Individual Contributor, IC, Manager, Management, Supervisor, Team Lead, Team Management, Middle Management