Carrier Sales Representative
City & State:
Mid Level Independent Contributor
Carrier Sales (Brokering/Capacity Management)
Non-Asset (Traditional Brokerage)
Our client is a third-party logistics (3PL) and intermodal marketing company (IMC) providing transportation sourcing and logistics management to clients across North America. With offices in Pennsylvania, Texas, Minnesota and Tennessee, their team works around the clock to ensure their clients' shipments are delivered safely and on time, and that they are kept in the loop throughout the process.
Job Type: Full-time
Carrier Sales Representative:
This role will be responsible for negotiating buy rates with carriers and then booking and managing shipments from pick up to delivery. This role is tasked with cultivating solid carrier relationships resulting in furthering customer relationships and growing accounts by providing as exceptional level of service.
- Strategically match available carrier equipment to every available customer load, adhering to carrier qualification requirements, customer requirements, and related DOT and industry regulations.
- Negotiate rates with carriers to obtain the best possible rate in the marketplace for each load moved.
- Procure, develop and maintain quality working relationships and loyalty with reliable carriers to successfully move the customer’s freight at an advanced-level service expectation.
- Maintain reliable communications with carriers and internal teams regarding changes in pick-up and delivery schedules, while anticipating and resolving issues such as time demands, route and weather delays, unplanned accessorial charges, and delayed or damaged shipments.
- Track all booked loads from the pickup point through to final delivery so that accurate, up-to-date information can be provided for any given shipment.
- Prospect carriers to further develop the carrier base with a goal of repetitive contracted business; collect and document available equipment from carriers as well as their preferred lanes and services they offer.
- Review carrier credentials to ensure they meet compliance requirements.
- Take initiative in providing feedback and updates to other departments as needed, as issues arise, or as business opportunities become available.
- Stay up to date with market insights and seasonal fluctuations that could have various impacts on the business.
- Navigate swiftly through multiple TMS and load boards.
- High school diploma required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of two years experience at a non-asset based freight logistics company preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office/Outlook or similar application.
- Minimum of two years customer service and/or sales experience.
- Driven, enthusiastic, a team player, and motivated.
- Must possess exceptional interpersonal communication, negotiation, problem-solving and customer service skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to think outside of the box and interact with carriers with tact and with a commitment to providing solutions and building relationships.
- Team-oriented with proven ability to work well under pressure.
- Manage time effectively; ability to thrive under deadlines.
- Capable of interacting effectively with all levels of personnel in a fast-paced environment.
This position offers a competitive base salary plus commission.
Related to: Freight, Freight Brokerage, Freight Delivery, Transportation Logistics, Logistics, Transportation, Transportation Brokerage, Trucking, Trucking Brokerage, Truckload Brokerage, Supply Chain, Supply Chain Solutions, 3PL, Third Party Logistics, Shipping, Non-Asset, Non-Asset Brokerage, OTR, track, trace, negotiate rates, cold calling, load coverage, book loads, freight lanes, delivery, carrier procurement, freight operations, pricing, TMS, RFP, carrier relationship development, load boards, freight broker, TL, Truckload, FTL, Full Truckload