Our client is a global leader in trade and distribution of food products. The company's leadership position is the result of a 30+ year commitment to drive value to their trading partners through unparalleled service and timely actionable information. Our client combines innovative technology with a multi-national team strategically placed to serve the supply chain needs of its partners across the globe. They are a recognized leader in proteins, commodities, and the retail industry.
Brokerage Sales and Operations Manager
The Brokerage Sales and Operations Manager will be responsible for developing a growth strategy to cultivate and grow a new division offering truck brokerage services. This person will establish professional relationships to gain new business with external shippers while managing and fostering internal relationships to provide non-asset transportation services for in-house freight. This position will also be involved in developing carrier relationships and managing capacity strategies and negotiations with third party carriers. Recruiting, onboarding, and training new hires will be part of the scope of this key role as the Manager builds a team around them to scale the business. The Brokerage Sales and Operations Manager will be a critical part of the brokerage success by serving as a freight brokerage subject matter expert to streamline processes, implement new procedures, and explore enhanced technology to improve company operations.
Job Type: Full-time; 100% Onsite Position *Flexible / Work Remote* policy for employees after 90 days of employment
- Assess current brokerage business to evaluate processes, policies, personnel and strategy.
- Implement business plan focused on scaling and improving business by adding team members, resources, technologies and necessary processes for best practices.
- Develop hiring initiatives to grow the team with additional sales and carrier operations talent.
- Oversee, coach, mentor and grow a team of domestic freight professionals to support the non-asset brokerage offering and future team.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with clients, carriers, external vendors and team members.
- Mentor and lead a team of freight sales representatives and operations associates.
- Identify internal and external opportunities to gain business and drive revenue growth and load count.
- Strategically develop initiatives to close new business with external shippers and maintain existing relationships focused on both external and internal freight.
- Establish new processes, improve current operations, and enforce best business practices to scale the team and identify and gain new customers.
- Assess various technology platforms to determine what is best for operational efficiency and integration with current technologies.
- Work cross functionally with customers and carriers to standardize process for quoting accurate freight rates and pricing.
- Display a thorough understanding of market conditions and data, through market intelligence tools and proprietary company data to ensure accurate and competitive pricing for customers.
- Assist in developing company KPI goals based on volume, revenue, gross margin growth and market conditions.
- Serve as a leader for the brokerage business while advising parent company on strategy and tactics to best support and enhance transportation service offering.
- 5+ years of 3PL brokerage experience.
- 2+ years of leadership and management experience in a brokerage setting.
- Proven ability to grow revenue by securing shipper relationships.
- Experience identifying, vetting and negotiating with third party carriers.
- Familiar with contract management and strong negotiation skills.
- Must display market and industry knowledge.
- Understanding of sales metrics and KPI management.
- Experience leading and growing a sales team to consistently meet goals and quotas.
- Previous experience managing a brokerage branch including personnel, sales, operations and P&L.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-motivated and able to think strategically to solve customer issues.
- Proven ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from various internal and external groups including managers, clients and customers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of market trends, industry news, and impacts on business
This position offers a competitive base salary.
Related to: Freight, Freight Brokerage, Freight Delivery, Transportation Logistics, Logistics, Transportation, Transportation Brokerage, Trucking, Trucking Brokerage, Truckload Brokerage, Supply Chain, Supply Chain Solutions, 3PL, Third Party Logistics, Shipping, Non-Asset, Non-Asset Brokerage, OTR, Intermodal, Drayage, Container Shipment, Container, Port Drayage, International Shipment, Port, Cargo, Rail, Domestic, Ocean Export, Ocean Import, Global Export Shipment, Ocean Freight, Ocean Containers, International, Customs, CTPAT, Refrigerated, Reefer, Temp Controlled, Temperature Controlled, protect from freeze, cold chain, cooling, TL, Truckload, FTL, Full Truckload, Truck Load, Semi, Tractor-Trailer, P&L, KPI, SOP, freight operations, branch management, customer development, negotiate, business development, carrier procurement, CRM, RFP, RFQ, performance management, strategic growth, business strategy, Manager, Management, Supervisor, Team Lead, Team Management, Middle Management