Our client provides customers and businesses worldwide with
a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. The company is consistently ranked among the world’s most admired and trusted employers and inspires its more than 300,000 team members to continue to be the best in the industry.
Job Type: Full-time
Managing Director of Operational Excellence
This senior leadership role will support the division’s organizational strategy and will be responsible for setting initiatives, overseeing the operational workforce, capacity procurements and process flows to ensure safe and continuous improvements occur at a systematic level. This role will be responsible for leading all operational support activities and establishing a culture of continuous improvement (QDM). This role will be expected to collaborate with the Managing Director, Operations to improve efficiency, maintain staffing standards and reduce costs. The decisions and actions this leader will make will impact the overall operating income of our client’s company and will support cross-opco transportation initiatives. This role must have the ability to quickly develop and adapt new or revised strategies & plans and solutions in response to dynamic business requirements. The ideal candidate must possess leadership skills to provide direction to multiple teams and individuals at all levels including those that report directly or indirectly to this position.
- Participate in the Officer and Director Team as a key business partner in the creation and development of the company vision, strategies, business plans, initiatives and programs and in making key business decisions.
- Build an efficient, innovative, and flexible operations support team and provide senior leadership for management, staff and the company to support short- and longterm business plans.
- Translate the company’s strategic and tactical business plans into departmental objectives.
- Take responsibility for the centralized direction and oversight of the capacity solutions group.
- Develop and lead the team for sourcing, engagement model, contract administration, model enhancements and contracted service provider resources in order to meet the company’s business needs.
- Ensure the capacity development strategies are in collaboration and support shortterm and strategic outlook of the business.
- Direct and coordinate safety objectives.
- Ensure records of all training-related documents are retained and comply with all other procedures outlined in the Operations & Procedure Manual, FMCSR, DOT.
- Be held accountable for reporting to the regulatory local, state and federal agencies.
- Proactively plan, direct and implement safety programs to ensure a safe, healthy and accident free environment.
- Plan, organize, direct, and control the development of actionable proposals.
- Recommend short-term and long-term customer and quality strategic plans to improve FCCs overall customer experience.
- Ensure improvement/enhancements in programs by consolidating inputs from operations performance, customer research and executive insights.
- Establish strategies to guide the quality driven management (QDM) cultural integration and longevity planning and present the necessary documentation and justification in order to gain buy-in and support from both leadership teams and opco key stakeholders.
- Plan, organize and direct the streamlining of processes and ensure efficient utilization of staff, assets and capacity.
- Develop and lead the team to support centralized responsibilities.
- Design and assess plans and determine the effectiveness and options for cost-sensitive implementation and develop independent assessment for creative improvements for testing.
- Lead a high performing team by holding leaders accountable for results, promoting an environment of continuous learning, developing the next generation of leaders, and supporting a culture of experimenting and risk taking.
- Select, train and develop staff.
- Demonstrate broad-based business thinking.
- Apply complete knowledge of industrial engineering process improvement strategies, lean/QDM techniques (e.g. Method analysis, work combination charts, ergonomics, visual controls, safety, 5S, Kanban, poka yoke) to coordinate overall deployment operations.
- Approach problem-solving, new idea generation and analyses in a creative, credible and pragmatic way to guide team in solving complex, ambiguous problems while minimizing unproductive efforts (unnecessary analyses, re-work).
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years of demonstrated leadership experience including directing the work of others in a supervisory capacity required.
- 10+ years of continuous improvement experience required.
- 10+ years of system- process/continuous improvement experience preferred.
- Black Belt certification preferred.
- Ability to travel 25% of the time.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Strong management (with ability to develop others), analytical, human relations, communications, fiscal, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to achieve results from critical objectives and develop and execute a strategic vision.
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and manage teams
This position offers a competitive base salary.
Related to: Freight, Freight Brokerage, Freight Delivery, Transportation Logistics, Logistics, Transportation, Transportation Brokerage, Trucking, Trucking Brokerage, Truckload Brokerage, Supply Chain, Supply Chain Solutions, 3PL, Third Party Logistics, Shipping, Non-Asset, Non-Asset Brokerage, OTR