Fleet Transportation Planner
City & State:
Mid Level Independent Contributor
Non-Asset (Traditional Brokerage)
Our client is committed to being your partner of choice, by exercising excellence, diversity, innovation and social responsibility. Headquartered in Dallas, TX with multiple hubs nationwide, coast to coast.
Fleet Transportation Planner
The Fleet Transportation Planner II is responsible for the planning of freight for our client’s Transportation Fleet. This includes optimal load selection and assignment of equipment and drivers in his/her assigned area of the country, for shuttle, and outbound freight. Shipments are to be selected in a manner that ensures optimal use of Fleet equipment and drivers at volume levels that meet site and corporate objectives. The Area Fleet Transportation Planner will also be responsible for utilizing the latest tools and software available to analyze benchmark Fleet performances and provide service performance metrics. This position will interface directly with Corporate Logistics, Plant Logistics, Sales, Customer Service, vendors, and key outside customers. This position will be the liaison for the freight sales team and the coordinator of backhaul freight with key customers and vendors. It will be tactically responsible for executing the Fleet’s operational strategy to achieve the company’s overall objectives.
- Assure Identify and select the best loads for our client’s Transportation Fleet.
- Work through the analytical compilations to select the loads that drive down overall transportation cost while delivering the best service. Where feasible, select the loads that provide greatest utilization of the equipment and drivers while maximizing revenue and margins.
- Optimal assignment of equipment and drivers, managing drivers hours of service (HOS), overtime reduction and managing equipment running miles.
- Review daily and weekly shipment demand of order intake against Fleet capacities; timely load tendering through FMS with clear, concise communication and collaborating with Fleet drivers, supervisors, plant logistics, and Fleet operations.
- Coordinate with individual plant logistics teams on the planning and shipping schedules for outbound finished goods, shuttle freight, and assuring service levels, volume targets, and profit levels are met.
- Provide detailed service performance metrics, utilizing BI tools for reporting, analytics, and cost analysis, assuring performance metrics are met for lowest overall transportation costs at the targeted service levels.
- Operational planning based on system forecast and computer applications software to determine current and future shipment requirement levels. Drive load optimization based on driver HOS, equipment utilization, and freight lanes.
- Research and establish ongoing review of Fleet performance against benchmark rates. Work through key customers, dedicated operation, and third-party vendors to gain targeted revenues from backhaul freight.
- Add value through service excellence by exceeding both internal customers’ (plant operations) and external customers’ expectations with dock appointments, on-time deliveries, POD compliance and operating within safety guidelines.
- Provide prompt and professional communication to internal (plants operations) and external customers on issue resolution.
- Lean forward to identify opportunities, develop and implement processes to capture efficiencies, cost reductions, and customer service improvements. Provide system and operational process expertise to TMS, Fleet, plant logistics, and third-party operations.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- 3+ years of experience in transportation planning
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain, finance, or engineering
- Notable Experience with McLeod Transportation Management System Benefits
This position offers a competitive base salary.
Related to: Freight, Freight Brokerage, Freight Delivery, Transportation Logistics, Logistics, Transportation, Transportation Brokerage, Trucking, Trucking Brokerage, Truckload Brokerage, Supply Chain, Supply Chain Solutions, 3PL, Third Party Logistics, Shipping, Non-Asset, Non-Asset Brokerage, OTR, Dryvan, Dry Van, Box Trailer, Dry Goods Shipping, Non-Perishable Shipping, Container, Long Haul, Short Haul, Tractor Trailer, Flatbed, flat bed, flat-bed, tie downs, dunnage, conestoga, curtain side, lowboy, tarp, permit loads,Oversized, Over-dimensional, OD, RGN, Removable Gooseneck, Low boy, drop-deck, flat-bed, special permit, LTL, Less Than Load, Less Than Truckload, Partial Load, Partial Shipment, Parcel, Small Parcel, Hazmat, hazardous materials, placards, explosive materials, flammable, gasses, oils, combustible, corrosive, endorsements, oxidizer, radioactive, chemical, freight, Industrial equipment, machinery, heavy haul, overside, materials, metals, woods, plastics, extrusions, adhesives, leasing, drop-site, Dispatch, dispatching, dispatcher, terminal, check-ins, track and trace, load times, wait times, scheduling, pricing, rate negotiation, driver management, maintenance scheduling, fleet, fleet management, fleet coordination, driver checks, MC numbers, freight operations, customer service, tracking, tracing, pricing, planning, driver dispatching, post-delivery, transactional freight, shipment, delivery, Independent Contributor, Team Player, Individual Contributor, IC