For 50 years, our client has been shipping a wide range of dry bulk products throughout the United States and Mexico. Their dry bulk trucking services and expansive North American network enable them to provide quick response to their customer’s day-to-day needs, demand peaks and emergencies. They drive your business forward with each and every shipment.
Director of Transportation Planning
The Director of Transportation planning is responsible for the efficient and effective performance of our client’s regional dispatch team. The Director of Transportation Planning reports directly to the AVP of Planning.
Job Type: Full-time
- Manage the day-to-day efficiencies of the regional dispatch team.
- Responsible for overseeing a team of dispatchers and ensuring workloads and schedules are appropriately assigned to result in uninterrupted service to our customers.
- Monitors and audits dispatch schedules to cultivate logical, safe and efficient decision making that assists in the growth and success of the operations.
- Identify and intervene as needed to address elevated customer and driver related issues, problems and/or discrepancies. Monitor and audit for compliance with company policy and procedures, safety and DOT regulations and driver qualifications.
- Monitor and enforce acceptable equipment utilization and best practices.
- Performance management of personnel.
- Responsible for hiring, training, coaching, disciplining and supervising all direct reports.
- Promotes the knowledge and effectiveness of staff members to ensure dispatch is assigned in a fair and consistent manner.
- Engages with dispatchers to develop rapport and respectful relationships with drivers.
- Elevates and/or addresses escalated driver performance issues with appropriate driver manager.
- Effectively communicates and documents performance discussions and constructive feedback.
- Monitor employee safety, satisfaction and performance.
- Responsible for upholding compliance with all safety-related requirements.
- Operates in a manner that is consistent with safe operations and complies with safety rules.
- Will promote clean and safe working conditions.
- Knowledge of both our client’s and customer’s business needs including software systems and various product lines.
- Actively learn to navigate computer systems, retrieve logistical data, calculate and verify load information and requirements.
- Ability to read and discuss dispatch sheets, troubleshoot complex logistical challenges and review driver assignments in order to contribute informed decisions and recommendations.
- Complete required data elements.
- Analyze operations data and reports to promote efficiency.
- Communicate and collaborate with other company terminals and departments to ensure necessary information is processed, distributed or communicated to ensure seamless operational effectiveness.
- Represent the Company and Carry Out Duties in a Professional Manner.
- Responsible for representing the Company in a professional manner.
- GED required; Bachelor’s or Graduate degree preferred
- Must have at least 3 years of management experience
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, present and influence credibly and effectively at all levels of the organization, including executive and C-level
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects at a time while paying strict attention to detail
- Excellent listening, negotiation and presentation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Self-motivated and able to thrive in a results-driven environment
- Natural relationship builder with integrity, reliability and maturity
- Ability to prioritize among competing tasks
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time and project management skills. You’re always looking to improve inefficient processes
- Keen attention to detail and adherence to deadlines
This position offers a competitive base salary.
Related to: Freight, Freight Delivery, Transportation Logistics, Logistics, Transportation, Trucking, Truckload, Supply Chain, Shipping, Asset, Asset Brokerage, Fleet, Terminal, OTR, Fleet, Dedicated, Owner-Operator, Tanker, Bulk, Heavy Haul, hopper, specialized, over weight, special permit, liquid bulk, dry bulk, freight operations, customer service, tracking, tracing, pricing, planning, driver dispatching, post-delivery, transactional freight, shipment, delivery, Director, Regional Director, Senior Director, Leadership, Leader