City & State:
Farmington Hills, MI
Mid Level Independent Contributor
Our client, headquartered in Purchase, NY, has approximately 7,400 employees as of January 4, 2023. Since its inception in 1965, the company manufactures and markets a broad range of products. It has 12 manufacturing subsidiaries and 5 sales offices in the U.S. serving automotive, industrial, telecommunications and information technology, semiconductor, consumer products and energy segments.
To support this company’s mission to make the best quality available by striving for the highest standards in their original technologies, products, processes, and people, they will bring new levels of value to customers all around the world. The Purchasing Manager is responsible all procurement activities including the strategic sourcing, business development and supply continuity that are critical to achieving and improving the bottom-line automotive operations for the organization. The Purchasing Manager will ensure the achievement of targets for cost, quality and delivery.
- Execute the purchasing functions for the automotive business unit.
- Responsibilities include: direct buy of products and services
- Raw casting and machining services from outside partners.
- Internal company related procurement requirements.
- MRO contracts, tooling, equipment.
- Warehouses, value add services, maintenance service agreements, leases.
- Others – all procurement related activities required to support the NA BU.
- Create and implement company-wide strategies for purchasing and inventory control.
- Create positive rapport with customers, internal group members, and vendors ensuring an effective stream of communication in alignment with company objectives.
- Issue quote requests, negotiate potential strategies.
- Assists sales personnel with product inquiries and quote preparation.
- Remain up to date with market changes, supplier contracts and import/export compliance.
- Prepare purchase order documentation and issuance after obtaining required approvals.
- Confirm pricing alignment with suppliers considering agreed upon raw material fluctuations.
- Ensure compliance of contractual agreements and services provided.
- Review and releases invoices to and from suppliers.
- Provide general assistance to the sales department where needed.
- Continuous evaluation and research of industry leading best practices to keep operations team and management updated to ensure internal awareness of new advancements and market leading technologies.
- Coordinate product shipments between factory/supplier/warehouse and customer.
- Suggest process improvements and seeks increased responsibility; assists with special projects.
- Compiles and prepares information, reports, and presentation materials.
- Logs, processes, and files sales-related documents.
- Maintain procedure manuals.
- Bachelor’s degree in purchasing management, inventory control, business management, supply chain or related field
- 7+ years of related purchasing experience in manufacturing work environment
- Direct automotive production purchasing/supply chain
- Knowledge of the sourcing process
- Strong customer service skills and problem-solving experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems
- Ability to process and maintain invoices, files and records
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, and problem solving skills with a keen attention to detail
- In-depth knowledge of base material markets and market pricing
- Excellent decision-making abilities and negotiation skills
- Strong organizational skills, time management skills and well-spoken vocabulary, and understanding of data analytics
- Ability to interpret organizational needs and global commercial strategies
This position offers a competitive base salary.
Related to: Shipper, Manufacturer, Distributor, Distribution, Fulfillment, Supply Chain, Supply Chain Operations, Distribution Center, Fulfillment Center, Warehouse, Logistics, Auto, Plant, Assembly, Manufacture, Build, Automation, Robotics, production, inventory, parts, supply chain, stamping, metals, Ocean Export, Ocean Import, Global Export Shipment, Ocean Freight, Ocean Containers, International, Customs, CTPAT, Demand, Analytics, buyer, buying, purchasing, inventory, SKU, stock levels, forecasting, brands, products, supply chain, vendors, suppliers, product variability, procure, procurement, Independent Contributor, Team Player, Individual Contributor, IC