Our client partners with the fishermen in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Quebec to buy direct from their boats, enabling them to deliver lobsters unlike any you’ve ever seen or tasted before.
Job Type: Full-time
Director of Logistics
Our client’s operations are expanding internationally and has successfully scaled from Canada into the USA. Their vision is to become the premier lobster supplier in the US and worldwide, which is why their company is seeking a Director of Logistics, an entrepreneurial leader who can help them reinvent their logistics strategy. This is an exceptional opportunity to be a part of shaping a global brand that is experiencing rapid growth and to have a significant impact on the future of business to business, and direct to consumer e-commerce. This candidate will work out of our client’s Long Island location in New York or their headquarters in Chicago.
- Plan, design, and direct all aspects of an organization's logistics management function to deliver, receive and distribute product domestically and internationally.
- Develop a strategy, metrics, and processes to implement an optimized logistics network and operations.
- Use analytics to monitor and measure performance, identify problems in operations, and achieve high performance at low cost.
- Identify transportation requirements and develop and implement a management system for transportation, including shipping visibility tools.
- Contribute to the development, support, and expansion of alternative distribution methods.
- Manage resources effectively to achieve operational excellence and to meet or exceed financial targets.
- Work alongside the Executives to make educated operational and financial decisions.
Day to Day Operations:
- Negotiate contracts with storage facilities, shipping and customs brokers, trucking and rail lines, warehouses, and shipping forwarders.
- Manage and report all costs associated with logistics and develop strategies to minimize financial impact with Finance.
- Ensure best practices are followed across the department by standardizing logistics processes.
- Ensure compliance with all import, export laws and regulations daily.
- Maintain appropriate records, reports, and compliance documentation to meet requirements.
- Manage all logistics and trucks in the U.S. on owned and potential 3rd party carriers.
- Be responsible for the coordination of domestic and international air freight needs as required.
- Ensure execution of customer delivery expectations (time and quality).
- Manage backhaul process; ensure optimal utilization of fleet.
- Recruit and retain drivers and driver teams.
- Develop and execute DOT compliance.
- Take ownership of U.S. Driver Safety, personal driver safety and safety on the road.
- Manage all fleet details, existing and new vehicles, maintenance, and new purchases; maintain maintenance logs and master fleet list.
- Manage compliance with all fuel tax laws, regulations, and reporting.
- Coordinate with Canadian business partner to ensure visibility of Canadian trucks in the United States and how they are best utilized.
- 10+ years of experience in consulting, strategy, operations, technology, or related experience; high-growth or early-stage start-up experience.
- 2+ years in Fleet Management and DOT compliance.
- Strong regulatory experience and interpretation of legislation.
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team and motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people/systems.
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving; strong critical thinking skills.
- Strong stakeholder communication (written/verbal) and influencing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute annual financial operating plan.
- Ability to drive process improvement and lead change.
- Must demonstrate ownership & responsibility for running the operation with a sense of urgency.
- Demonstrated track record in deploying successful projects with quantifiable results.
- Extensive experience with supply chain systems, including, but not limited to ERPs and warehouse & transportation management systems.
- Proficient computer skills: Microsoft 365 including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, & Teams.
- Overnight travel at 25%.
This position offers a competitive base salary.
Related to: Freight, Freight Delivery, Transportation Logistics, Logistics, Transportation, Trucking, Truckload, Supply Chain, Shipping, Asset, Asset Brokerage, Fleet, Terminal, OTR, Fleet, Dedicated, Owner-Operator, KPI, Shipping, Receiving, P&L, Facility, Facility Management, Distribution, Fulfillment, Inventory, Inventory Control, Stocking, Product Shipment, WMS, Warehouse Operations, Shipper, Distributor, Storage, Dock Operations, Warehousing, Shipper, Manufacturer, Distributor, Distribution, Fulfillment, Supply Chain, Supply Chain Operations, Distribution Center, Fulfillment Center, Warehouse, Logistics, Air Export, Air Import, Global Export Shipment, Air Freight, Air Cargo, International, Customs, CTPAT, TSA, Temperature-controlled, Refrigerated Production, Refrigerated Storage, Refrigerated Distribution, Temperature Range, Frozen, Shelf Life, Fresh, Cool Cargo, Cargo, Perishable, Food Stuffs, Grocery, FDA, Inspection, Food Grade, Consumables, Perishables, Edibles, Safety, Inspection, OSHA, Certified, Certification, Quality, Refrigerated, Reefer, Temp Controlled, Temperature Controlled, protect from freeze, cold chain, cooling, FMCSR, OSHA, MC#, MC Number, Carrier Compliance, CFR Regulations, Federal Safety, State Safety, DOT, CMV Operation, Driver Qualification Files, DQF, Motor Carrier Regulations, Carrier On-Boarding, Claims, Insurance, KPI, Shipping, Receiving, P&L, Facility, Facility Management, Distribution, Fulfillment, Inventory, Inventory Control, Stocking, Product Shipment, WMS, Warehouse Operations, Shipper, Distributor, Storage, Dock Operations, Warehousing, SKU, EDI, General Industry Osha Standards, Staff Management, Line Management, Workload Planning, Movement Monitoring, Inventory Levels, Training, Receiving, Dock Operations, Inbound, Outbound, Value-Adding, Picking, Packing, Kitting Operations, SCRUM, Location Management, Reconciliation, Process Management, Process Improvement, SOP, Materials Control,Plant Safety, Staging Management, Director, Regional Director, Senior Director, Leadership, Leader