Our client is the leading wholesale distributor in California, focusing on independent stores, covering a large territory from Napa Valley to Fresno. Their company has grown tremendously because of the success of their customers. And their success is directly connected to their everyday low prices. Every day they strive to find the lowest cost for all of their items and they pass on every dollar they save to their customers.
In this position, the Candy Buyer must have analytical and problem-solving skills demonstrated by the review of vendor/supplier proposals, evaluation of available competitive information, and selection of best alternatives. Negotiation skills are also required. The position must have the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with internal business lines as well as our vendors/suppliers. Must be detail oriented with the ability to prepare, review and evaluate purchase contracts and associated documents. Must be a proven leader, able to multitask under pressure, and always aware of their competition, profit margins, and sales objectives.
Job Type: Full-time
- Focus on HABA, GM, and Store Supply, but may include some Grocery, Non-Foods, and Institutional item management.
- Perform procurement-related functions related to inventory management, product quality, consumer safety (recalls), and supply chain.
- Evaluate suppliers by considering the price, quality, availability, and other criteria.
- Interview vendors and visit suppliers’ facilities to learn about products, services, and pricing.
- Negotiate contracts with vendors and suppliers to obtain the best deals on behalf of the company.
- Interact with suppliers to schedule delivery times and resolve shipping errors.
- Authorize payments and maintain receipts, records, and inventories.
- Purchase products across all assigned categories for distribution through our client’s warehouses.
- Coordinate new product introductions.
- Develop pricing and promotional programs, estimate sales and profit margins, and monitor sales.
- Work closely with Sales Representatives and suppliers to keep informed of retailer needs, and problems and makes recommendations. Identifies sales and promotional opportunities along with competitor promotional and pricing strategies.
- Work with vendors and suppliers to develop promotional programs for assigned product lines.
- Prepare promotional and marketing programs by product coordinates monthly promotional programs and monitors the effectiveness of programs.
- Achieve targeted service levels by monitoring, identifying, reacting to, and solving potential issues.
- Study product movement histories, lead times, and current movement selecting items to be discontinued.
- Schedule promotional offerings and negotiate the terms with the manufacturers to notify internal departments of upcoming promotions. Capture all promotional information in the system and maintains the beginning and end of promotion cycles.
- Partner with marketing to develop monthly ads and offerings, which include item selection based on seasonality and being competitive within our market, by developing promotional pricing based on forward buys, diverter buys, and vendor-negotiated buys.
- Review ad slick and assist in the pre-print proofing process,
- Analyze and recommend solutions for inventory problems, maintain ordering parameters, and accurate manufacture and item information within the purchasing system. SKU rationalization.
- Ensure accurate information for all product pricing which includes safety stock, bracket pricing, unit of measure, description, and pack size.
- Review daily, weekly and monthly reports, and respond to the needs of the business.
- Maintenance of vendor files to include current and accurate contact information, lead times, and order cycles.
- Degree in Marketing, Finance, Economics, or related field OR equivalent education, training, and/or experience demonstrating considerable knowledge of procurement and promotional practices in Retail Grocery.
- Minimum of 3-4 years of retail purchasing experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of food retail experience.
- Knowledge of the retail grocery industry and corresponding products preferred.
- Background in health and beauty, store supplies, and general merchandise experience required.
- Thorough knowledge of Hispanic and US HABA retail is fundamental.
- Utilization of computer applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Blue Ridge
- Purchasing Software and the ability to effectively communicate via Microsoft Outlook or Gmail.
- Bi-lingual is a plus but not required.
- Ability to work independently and/or as a team member.
- Communication – Articulates information in a way that can be easily understood by employees, members, and suppliers. Actively listens to fellow employees, members, and managers.
- Member Service – Exhibits a professional demeanor toward others. Unselfishly serves others and assists members, employees, and suppliers in a prompt and effective manner while following company procedures. Ability to identify problems, finds solutions, and makes sound decisions that reflect the company's Food’s Code of Ethics.
- Self-Motivated – Well-organized and able to prioritize, multi-task, and adhere to deadlines while working efficiently and independently with minimal supervision.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her choices and decisions. Always maintains a positive attitude.
- Team Player – Cooperates well with a variety of personalities and individuals and participates in a professional manner to accomplish the business goal. Willingness to perform tasks assigned by supervisors and to assist others as needed.
- Flexibility – Adjusts positively to changes in direction or assignment. Ability to do more than one task during a work shift. Willingness and ability to comply with new programs, methods, practices, and procedures.
This position offers a competitive base salary
Related to: Shipper, Manufacturer, Distributor, Distribution, Fulfillment, Supply Chain, Supply Chain Operations, Distribution Center, Fulfillment Center, Warehouse, Logistics, Food Stuffs, Grocery, FDA, Inspection, Food Grade, Consumables, Perishables, Edibles, Safety, Inspection, OSHA, Certified, Certification, Quality, Demand, Analytics, buyer, buying, purchasing, inventory, SKU, stock levels, forecasting, brands, products, supply chain, vendors, suppliers, product variability, procure, procurement, Independent Contributor, Team Player, Individual Contributor, IC